What do you do when a check engine light comes on?
What do you when you check engine light comes on? Well, 1st of all, the engine is no doubt going to be there, so there is no reason to check the engine bay. 2nd of all, it could be a whole range of things, it could be timing chains, it could be a 02 Sensor, it could be anything. Essentially “you are pissing in the wind” as some would say!
What you need to do it probably avoid driving it where possible and do one of the following:
- Take it to Holden to get them to scan the vehicles computer and find out the issue. They will use as can tool and find out what the error code is. If it is something serious they could quote you $xxx and you could be without your car for a number of days
- Take it a mechanic that you might know that can scan the cars computer and find out the issue. If it is something serious they could be cheaper than Holden and could be without your car for a few days (depending on their workload)
- Take it to a mate who has a Scan tool or an OBD2 tool that can scan the computer for you, find out the issue, and potential fix it yourself or clear the code if it isn’t a serious issue.
There are some quick fixes, but it could come back again after 30 seconds, 5 mins, 10 mins, 20 mins, an hour, a few hours or after a day.
- Disconnect the positive terminal of the battery for 10 to 20 mins and then reconnect the battery, this should clear the code, but it could come back.
- Find a mate who has a scan tool who can clear the code for you, however, it could come back again.
Overall, you need to get the car looked at by someone in the know and get the issue fixed. Yes, the car may run fine, however, it may be more than what you think. It could be a simple home garage fix or it could be a mechanic fix. If you don’t know what you are doing, go to someone who does or have a mate who knows what to do with you and learn!
You may wish to invest in an OBD2 tool for future issues. You can find out details on the OBD2 Information Page.